Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Happy Late Valentine's Day!


Happy Hump Day!!  I hope everyone had a spectacular Valentine’s Day.  My V-Day was BY FAR the best one I’ve ever experienced.  Rather than spending money to go eat in a restaurant that was too crowded, too expensive, and too busy, I opted to make a home cooked meal!  Earlier last week I slyly asked Will what his all-time favorite meal was.  His answer- his mamma’s enchiladas!  I immediately started to panic the second the words came out of his mouth.  Why you might ask?  Well for those of you who know me, know I’m fairly new to the cooking world.  Sure, I can whip up a mean batch of cheesy potatoes and broccoli, but enchiladas?!  Those are a bit outside of my realm.  Once my initial panic subsided and logic began to ease its way back into my brain, I thought who better to instruct me than Mamma Morales herself!  She was a saint!  Not only did she give me step-by-step instructions on how to prepare her specialty, but she also reminded me that it’s the thought {not the taste} that counts.  And so I began prepping.  One unbelievably loooooong visit to the grocery store later I was geared up and ready to cook!  I got all of my supplies unbagged, organized and ready to be made into some BA enchiladas.  Come Wednesday morning I woke up with a sweat of panic all over again, knowing that tonight was the night.  It was do or die.  I know this ordeal is something rather silly to stress about, but being Will and I’s first Valentine’s Day together, I wanted to make it special, and by special I mean avoiding a trip to the ER due to food poisoning!  I peeled, sliced, browned, stirred, mixed, and cooked my way to what ended up being a fantastic meal [so he said].  He wouldn’t tell me even if it did taste like crap!! ~another reason why I love him!  We finished it off with my first stab at a Flaugnarde of Mixed Berries, baked in the shape of a heart!  It was delicious and so easy to make.  


Here are the directions:

Flaugnarde of Mixed Berries
·                     2 1/2 cups of mixed fresh berries (such as blackberries, blueberries, raspberries)
·                     3 eggs
·                     10 tbsp light agave nectar (or sugar)
·                     1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, sifted
·                     1/8 tsp of salt
·                     1 cup of 1% milk
·                     2 tsp vanilla extract
·                     powdered sugar for dusting
·                     baking spray

Directions:
1.    Preheat the oven to 350°
2.     Lightly spray a baking dish with baking spray and dust with a little flour
3.    Toss in the berries
4.    Whisk the eggs, agave, salt, and flour together until smooth
5.    Add the milk and vanilla extract
6.    Whisk until smooth & Pour into the baking dish
7.    Bake for 45 - 50 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. When you pull it out of the oven it will wiggle a bit which is completely normal. Cool on a wire rack.
8.    When cool, dust with powdered sugar and serve.

I highly recommend trying it!  It was healthy {for a dessert} yumminess!  

                                                 Here's a little picture of our evening :)
The night couldn’t have been more amazing and left me on cloud 9.  I was still feeling the giddiness when I rolled out of bed this morning.  I thank God that he put such an outstanding man in my life, I am BEYOND lucky.  XOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment